Friday 20 March 2009

Atheism Day today

4 comments

An interesting facebook campaign is happening today. I personally have no interest in calling myself an atheist as why should I label myself with something I don't believe in? If I have to label myself with anything it would be naturalist. Indeed I generally have no interest in the Out compaign.

Still I am lucky that I can openly discuss this topic whereas many others in, say, the Islamic world and the U.S.A. cannot. So as an act of solidarity I am explicitly an atheist today and have changed my facebook profile to suit.

From the facebook group:

We rally for freedom of thought, the right to believe and not to.

We rally to erase the social stigma around nonbelief.

We rally in solidarity with those who live where freedom and equality for nonbelievers is only a dream.

We rally to tell the world: we are nonreligious, we are equal, respect us.

This is not a hate rally: we are against false beliefs, not those who believe in them. Intolerance will not be tolerated.

*****WHAT TO DO*****
On March 20th, we will show our pride and solidarity on Facebook by changing our profile picture and status (and religious views if you haven't already):

* Set your profile picture to the symbolic Scarlet Letter: http://outcampaign.org/promo/093020scarletletter_out.png

* Set your Facebook (and IM) status to a message of nonbelief, such as "I am an Atheist"

Nonbelievers are a diverse group of people who identify with many different views. Use whatever term(s) you are more comfortable with:
Atheist, Antireligious*, Nonreligious, Freethinker, Eupraxsopher, Humanist, Secularist, Naturalist, Rationalist, Antitheist, Agnostic, Pantheist

*****DO MORE*****
Join the group for discussion and more:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=26309913075

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, it's not that bad being an atheist! :) lol. Some of us are even nice and fun.

Martin Freedman said...

For sure. I want to get back to living in a world where this is a rather pointless label, as it was in the 80s.

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't see how atheist can be pointless until the religious people stop trying to weasel into the government and/or hurt other people... I keep saying that I am very much looking forward to the day when I can 'just' be a humanist or an existentialist, but I don't see that day coming in my lifetime.

Martin Freedman said...

sunnyskeptic

Not much to disagree with you there. I just don't like defining myself in the terms of the opposition but am lucky that where I live this is still not an issue - the UK (unless you read the Daily Mail).